

As I mentioned before, this house has some history and while I am still trying to find out the details, I thought I would share one of its fun features. The house is build in an area of town called Les Gressets which has been habited since Galo-Roman times. We use this room in the basement for storage but as you can see it has double doors. The door facing the hall was a later addition and locks from the outside. However, the inside door locks from the inside with these two HUGE iron cross bars that slide into iron bolts as well as a couple of other bolts, bars and locks. It makes one wonder...what were they trying to be safe from? Was it used during the religious wars or during some other turbulent time in history? Hopefully, I will know soon.
1 comment:
COOL!! Is it not just so cool to live in a foreign country and see the "famous sites" just out your back door?? I remember the setting up house issue when we got here too...frustrating to say the least. Things are so different...and they speak English here! Can't imagine what it's like in France! Hope the kids are better and you are on your way to ending some of the initial frustration. (ok...no box for me to check for you to respond via email...hmmmm)
Post a Comment