Saturday, we visited two new neighborhoods in Paris which actually neither Anthony nor I had been to in our previous visits. It is hard to explain just how different each arrondissement is. The 1st, which I wrote about a few weeks ago, has beautiful structures, attractions and gardens but also tends to be very touristy. The 9th which we visited Saturday morning has beautiful, wide boulevards, traditional Haussman architecture and is a lovely strolling neighborhood. Its main attraction is the Opera Garnier. Anthony and I both agreed this is one of the most beautiful buildings in Paris which you may also know from its "Phantom" fame.


We then enjoyed a movie presentation called "Paris Story" which outlines the history and building of Paris from the first settlers through its glory days, revolution, and world wars. Each audience member listens to it in their own language. The kids had a ball.


We visited a Perfume factory, several stores in the area and let the kids take a spin in a Ferrari before heading to Andrew's favorite lunch spot.




After lunch we headed just north of the 9th to the 18th. This is known as the artists corner of Paris. Many famous artists have and continue to live and work here. The most recognizeable attraction is one you can pick out of any Paris skyline. Sacre Couer, a beautiful Byzantine style church on top of a hill (mountain). Brooke walked every one of these steps and didn't complain a bit! Go Brookie! Here is a picture from half-way up. Whew...

Around the corner from Sacre Couer, which I didn't get a picture of is Place du Tertre. It is a square filled with artists painting Parisian scenes or your own picture. You can have it done any any medium from chalk to watercolors, pencil, or paint. Will definitely have to do this with the kids sometime.
We then strolled through the narrow, crooked, charming streets of Montmarte--what I have always pictured as stereotypical Paris. Tons of fun and even found a few of the famous windmills that dot this neighborhood. Two of the most famous, Moulin Galette and Moulin Rouge.

The weather was beautiful, the girls did great without their stroller and we had one of our best days so far.
3 comments:
Looks wonderful!! Glad you had a great time. What history!!
What a fun way to explore Paris. Have you seen our hotel? When Steve and I were there I tried to find it with no luck. I have a pic of it in my book. I LOVE the Opera as well, what a great building.
So fun! I love the 18th - it's so beautiful! Brian and I bought a few paintings from that area when we visited, and then he bought me one for a Christmas present a couple of years ago when he had to go back over for business. I'm glad you guys are getting to explore and the kids are having a great time! I'm not sure if my Ethan would've sat through the movie bit! But I would've loved it!
Post a Comment