1st Arrondissement

Saturday, we went back into the city for a day of fun. We had decided to break our trips up into the neighborhoods or "arrondissements" and see a little each time. Today we visited the 1st and started at the Louvre. We didn't go in this time because it is free the first Sunday of each month and knowing that it will take several trips have decided to go for a little each month. Unfortunately, I can only show you pictures from about half the day because I forgot to charge the batteries....
We then visited two of the medevial churches found in the city. St Germain l'Auxerrois whose foundations stones are from the 1000's (the history here just boggles our young American minds) and St Estache which they say is only rivaled by Notre Dame. The pictures are from St Estache and the statue in the courtyard supposedly has its "ear to the ground of all happenings in Paris".



This stain glass portrays St Anthony and St Andrew together--so had to get a shot.
We visited the massive, multi-level, underground shopping mall of Les Halles and took a spin on their carousel.
We lunched at Joe Allen (in honor of my dad, of course) and visited the Anglo hotspots Thanksgiving (where you can purchase many American grocery items) and the Red Wheelbarrow bookstore (English books, literature and newspapers). We then encountered the fountain of Innocents where early Parisians received their clean drinking water.




Had some fun in the Jardin du Tulleries....



Visited the Place de la Concorde and paid tribute to Monsieur Guillotine and Marie Antoinette...
and then gorged ourselves on mini-macaroons from the world famous tearoom Laduree.

Quite a full day for the short people. But oh so much fun to be apart of one of the most amazing cities in the world. Days like this make up for the struggles of everyday life.

5 comments:

The Blake Family said...

Looks like you guys have the same idea we have here...see a little every weekend (or every few weekends). Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see some of it in person!! Your home looks all moved into now...you did that fast!! I love your conservatory views...how lovely!

Unknown said...

You are sending some great pictures. Looks like you are having fun. Hope your day to day life has settled. Keep sending pictures and updates so I know how my girls are doing.
LeAnn

Cindy Cates said...

Love the pics and adventures of the Walkers. The kids look like they are having the time of their lives and I am sure you and Anthony are as well.

Shannon said...

Oh I forgot about St. Estache (butchered the spelling) and the giant head. I loved this when I was in Paris and took lots of pics here. Thanks for the memory! :)

Shannon said...

OK, I looked back and I did spell it right! Yea me!