16th Arrondissement

Saturday, we went into the city for a COLD tour of the 16th Arrondissement. We started at the Musee d'Vin (Museum of Wine). It was a fun, self-directed tour through underground caves and tunnels that were used by 15th century monks as a wine cellar. It showed the history of wine making with ancient equipment and tools through modern day techniques.
We also picked up some really neat souveneirs here. One was a corkscrew with a handle made from a grapevine--very cool. (We got one for you too Christi).

We next headed to the Musee Marmottan, one of the largest collections of Claude Monet's work which had been donated when his son was killed. Absolutely beautiful works of art. I can't wait to go to his home at Giverny in the spring.

We lunched at an American Diner called Henry's Restaurant--very good. And strolled the streets enjoying the Christmas decorations.

We were supposed to go to the Jardin d'Acclimation for the kids but decided we would rather come back when the weather was better. However, our change of plans led us to a photographer's jem--who knew that if you went on the backside of the Arc de Triomphe, there are no people, crowds and much fewer cars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you went to the wine museum. The pictures are so cool. The corkscrew sounds really neat. Thanks for getting me one. I love all the other pictures as well. The one with all three kids in front of the silver tree looks like the front of a Christmas card.
Christi

Reed Family said...

So fun! I love your blogs on exploring Paris! Wish I could do it with you - I'll just read along and pretend I'm there! :)

The Blake Family said...

Mmmmm...we love wine, so that museum sounds and looks like an interesting place to me!