Saturday was a full and tiring day. It started with Andrew's soccer in the morning. I have to tell you, we may have a future Beckham on our hands (in ego if not in talent). For his second time playing, he managed to score 2 of the 3 goals for his team (and he will be quick to tell you that one of them was with a second grader pulling him from behind by his shirt sleeve). Quite the play little buddy! After that, we quickly changed him and whisked into Paris.
Without a full day to spend, we chose the 7th arrondissement. It has fewer attractions than most, however iconic they may be. First we stopped by the Pont Alexander III which is so detailed and ornate that it makes our own bridges look common if not downright boring.


We then strolled down the Avenue du Mal Gallieni towards the Hotel des Invalides. Napoleon originally built the Hotel as a hospital and home for injured soliders but it has since turned into a military museum and houses the Emperor's tomb. First let me say, military history is NOT my thing. Too many dates, battles, names, places, numbers wounded and dead, strategies and ramifications. I am much more of a social historian (i.e. how did the war affect those on the homefront?). But, this was amazingly interesting. We only made it through the Antique Arms and Armour Department-13th through 17th centuries and the Canon collection. We will have to plan another visit to see the Modern Department-Louis XIV to Napoleon III and the World Wars Department 1871-1945. Andrew LOVED all of the medival armor and weaponry.




The Hospital had it's own cathedral to which a dome was added when Napoleon's remains were relocated.





From the Hotel des Invalides we stopped for lunch and American grocery goods shopping at the Real McCoy. We bought several items that we have not found elsewhere which will make everyday cooking as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas much more familiar.
Then the big one---the one the kids have been waiting for---the Eiffel Tower!



We grabbed a quick and easy dinner at the always popular McDonald's then headed home with some very tired kiddos. Spent Sunday (the way you are supposed to) at rest! We have a full week of activities ahead--but you will hear all about that soon enough.
P.S. For those of you without blogger or gmail accounts--I have changed the settings on the comment page so that anyone can leave a note.
4 comments:
Thank you. I've tried leaving comments before and couldn't figure out how to make it work. Hey, Rick Steve's has great tips on things like this.. like the right line to stand in for a larger elevator, line moves quicker, etc. Jimmy and I used it on our travels and found it to be super helpful in cutting out stuff like that and finding some out of the way things to see, too. Just a thought. Love the blog. Keep it up. You guys and your sight seeing is putting us to shame! I feel the need to compete with you all! Ahhhhh. Can't wait to see more!
I am so impressed with you guys visiting all these places with the kids. I would be scared to try with our 3. Jack just started soccer, too but he is far from pro. I am happy if he actually kicks the ball. But it has been fun going to the games! Especially for him. The Eiffel Tower was easy to see when I went. I went to Paris twice, once in May and once in Feb. I saw the Eiffel Tower in Feb. and there was no line or anything. Of course, that was forever ago. My fav. thing was buying crepes on the street - ham & cheese and nutella are my fav. kinds! Can you send me one? :) I also love the Montmatre area and the artist's square. I still kick myself for not buying a painting there. Have fun! I love reading the blog and living vicariously through you.
What fun! My favorite photo...your kiddos walking hand in hand toward the Eiffel Tower!
Hi Kerri!
I check in weekly to live vicariously though you. Thanks for letting us all leave comments now! I would love to take my family to Paris. I went in high school (and there was no wait at all to go up the Eiffel Tower). I, too still kick myself for not buying a painting in Montmartre. You are doing such a great job making memories for your family and still keeping things familiar enough for them. I would love to "talk some French" with you. Have you learned any yet? Thanks for all the sightseeing photos! It's almost as great as being there!
Bethany
Post a Comment