Normandy

My dad has always loved anything to do with the WWII era so I thought he would enjoy a day in Normandy. Andrew was in school and a great friend volunteered to keep the girls so just my parents and I went for the day.

We started the morning in Bayeaux, saw the AMAZING Bayeaux Tapestry which is a wonder of an artifact from the 9th century, is enormously long and tells the story of William's conquering of England. I can not even begin to imagine the hand labor that went into completing it. We then visited the Bayeaux Cathedral and had lunch.
After lunch we went on a nearly personal tour (had one other guy) of the D-day landing sights including, the Arromanches floating bridge museum, the German battery and guns, Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery and the Point du Hoc where American Rangers scaled an amazing cliff and unbelievable odds. Very moving experience.

No comments: